Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Welcoming Brodie Joseph Gwinner

We went to the hospital at 6:30am. Once we got situated in our room they started my pitocin. At 8:45am they broke my water and I was dilated to 4cm. A couple hours later (about 10am) my contractions started getting intense so I requested that wonderful epidrual. Once I got that, everything got sooo much better! An hour later, I got checked again and I was dilated to 5cm and 90% effaced and baby was at a -1 station. By 12pm I was dilated to 7cm! Maybe about an hour later, around 1pm, they had to put me on oxygen because the baby had dropped further down the birth canal and the pressure on his head was making his heartbeat drop. But they said that it was totally normal, nothing to worry about. But the oxygen did help stabilize the heartbeat. By 1:45pm I was dilated to 9 1/2 cm! By 2pm they told me to start to push. We started pushing, but my contractions weren't close enough so we pushed for about an hour--totally didn't feel like that! It felt like only 10 minutes!! lol And by 3:10pm, our son was born.

Brodie Joseph Gwinner, 8 lbs 4.5 oz, 19.5 inches long and he has the sweetest face! All the nurses talked about how big his little baby hands were for a newborn. I thought all along that he was going to be between 7-8lbs, closer to 8lbs. :)

We love him SOOO much! We get to leave tomorrow and go home. The labor & delivery was sooo smooth and all the nurses were wonderful! The pushing was great as well! Didn't tear! Woo hoo! lol After it was all done I told the doctor and nurses that I could probably do that 5 more times! haha :)

It's so surreal how he's here now and not in my belly. But it's the most amazing feeling, my heart is filled with so much unconditional love and joy. He's beautiful.

<3 <3 <3

3D picture from 29 weeks

3D picture from 29 weeks
* Sucking his thumb *