Thursday, October 28, 2010

Brodie & Vida's Halloween costumes

Well, if you're on my Facebook you may have read about the trouble we've been having with Brodie's Halloween costume. We had originally ordered a 2T Wolverine costume from Toys R US online, when we got it it was the wrong size. We called, they sent us a new one claiming it'd be the right size. Wrong! A size bigger, again. Ben called them again, that way I wouldn't be ripping someone a new one. They said they'd send us a new one again. That didn't happen.

So, last Tuesday I went to Target to find Brodie something for Halloween. Unfortunately, it was pretty much slim-pickin's there. The choices I found were a dinosaur (which he would step into and appear to be riding it), garden gnome, firefighter, or superman. I sent Ben pictures of all the costumes and we decided on the dinosaur.

Get home that night, show Brodie and immediately he screams. Doesn't like, doesn't want to have anything to do with it. We try to hug the dino to show him that its not scary and its nice. He kinda laughs when we do it. Then we tried, probably about 5 different times, to put him in it-note that he'd just have to step in it and pull the straps around his shoulders kinda like a dinosaur overalls. Every time he would kick and scream. So, the dinosaur costume is out-gotta take it back.

So yesterday, Ben and I talk and we decided to have him try on one of the Wolverine costumes. It's a size 3-4T and he wears 2T. When I first show him he has a little more interest in it than with the dinosaur, but still not too much.

So we go upstairs and play, I take the costume with me. I pull him to my lap and kind of have to force him into it. He's kicking his legs, but I finally get his legs in it and then get his arms in it. Got it on, woo hoo! He kinda stands there and just like "ok, now what?!" :) He walks around and plays in it. He did tug at the collar of the costume because of the tag in the back-I'll be cutting it off. But for the most part, he was ok with it on. The headpiece of it, not so much. Brodie's not really into wearing hats anyway, so when we'd try to put it on his head it'd come off as fast as we got it on. So that's ok. As long as the costume portion stays on! :)

So he'll be Wolverine this year, like the original plan. But next year, we're going to order the kids' costumes in September so we don't have to deal with this kind of craziness. :)

Last week a co-worker of mine gave me some red felt. I had told her I wanted to make a costume for Vida, a crab costume, to go along with Naomi's mermaid costume. Sunday I made that costume for the dog. And, it turned out awesome! As Ben said "better than I had imagined!" :) She's not too impressed with it, but she tolerates it. She's such a good dog!

Anyway, so here are a couple pictures of Bro being Wolverine and a couple of Vida as a crab :)




3D picture from 29 weeks

3D picture from 29 weeks
* Sucking his thumb *